Pondering how best to fill my time, I decide it's a great day to clean my home. If five friends were asked to describe me, "domestic" would probably not make the list. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy cooking and creating fantastic nesting areas throughout my home; but, somewhere between the Pledge and the lemony fresh scent of Windex, I just glaze over.
Until recently, I employed a cleaning service. For months, I tolerated their late arrivals, no shows, and the
staff asking me to do some light cleaning in between. Finally, I decided to do this on my own. After three hours of cleaning here are my thoughts:
- Just as painting and cooking requires preparation so does cleaning. Where is my sous maid?
- Dust bunnies are not cute. In fact, the only resemblance is the unyielding rate at which they multiply.
- If enough dust forms around the bottom of a chair, felt pads are not necessary to save hardwood floors.
- Curiosity got the best of me when I pondered my home without a return air vent filter.
- Saint Anthony has his job cut out for him when there are lost items in my home. I found things I threw out two moves ago.
- At age 25 a friend had to explain the saying..."elbow grease". I'm due for a tune-up.
- I know for a fact the dogs did not eat the 832 hairbands nor the "other sock".
- For the first time, my dogs were terrified of me. And, so much more than the Dyson.
- I loathe clutter but what's wrong with a little dirt?
Are you aware that some people actually enjoy cleaning? They describe the end result as very gratifying. I wish they would come visit.
Relevant and favorite quotes
I'm not going to vacuum until Sears makes one you can ride on. —Roseanne Barr
My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance. —Erma Bombeck